Your Health

The National Health Service (NHS) provides free healthcare for all UK, EU and EEA residents. You are also entitled to free NHS treatment if you are attending a course in the UK for 6 months or more.
Your GP (General Practitioner) is your first point of contact for medical treatment. Most illnesses and other problems can be treated by the GP but if you need to see a specialist, the GP will refer you to an appropriate hospital department. As well as consulting with a doctor, most GP's Surgeries and Health Centres provide a range of community health services: for example, vaccinations, women's health clinics, services for parents of young children, family planning, contraception and sexual health.

How to register with GP

You should register with a GP's (doctor’s) surgery when you arrive in the UK. It is important to register as soon as you can and not wait until the first time you are ill.

To register, you will need to have:

  • - a document confirming your address in the UK (e.g. a bill with your name and address
  • - a letter from Britannia confirming your student status).
  • - your passport or ID

If the GP surgery you have chosen does not accept any new patients, then try another one. You can change your doctor at any time by taking your Medical Card to a new GP’s surgery to register.
You can ask for a list of local surgeries from your local library or find your nearest GP online:

Other places to see a doctor:

- Accidents and Emergency
- NHS walk-in centres (you do not need to be registered or to have an appointment)

The nearest NHS walk-in centre to the school is:

St Andrews Health Centre

2 Hannower Walk,
London, E3 3FF
0208 980 1888

Go to St Andrews Health Centre website >

Travel insurance

We highly recommended that you take out a travel insurance policy. This means you will be covered if you have a medical emergency, accident or have to cancel your course at short notice. Your travel insurance may also cover you for other things that can go wrong or happen unexpectedly.

Endsleigh study abroad insurance:
0800 028 3571


Opticians are widely available and are often located on high streets and shopping centres. Most students need to pay for the cost of eye tests and a pair of glasses.

Dental treatment

Dental treatment is not free in the UK. To find an emergency dentist phone the Dental Emergency Care Service on

0208 748 9365


0208 547 9997